At last we are a normal family (Ha! I'm always amused when I refer to us as normal). Madison finally came home Sunday morning exactly one week after her sister and brother. After 14 weeks our hospital and NICU days are finally over.Things are going well but having triplets is definitely not the same as having twins - which I experienced last week. Things run like clockwork around here. Last week with only 2 babies home, I had 4 total hours of "free time" during the day - 1 hour between each of the daytime feedings. But now with 3 babies, I only have a total of 2 hours during the day - 30 minutes between the end of one feeding cycle and the start of the next. And that time includes getting up and ready for the day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, shower and getting ready for bed. It's crazy! Why so little extra time? It takes 2.5 hours to pump, mix bottles, feed, and clean the bottles, pump parts, etc. The babies eat every 3 hours. And if I need or want to hold a baby then I have just 30 minutes to do it. Everyone says the first 3 months are a blur but despite the lack of sleep this has all been very clear.
We've enjoyed taking the babies on neighborhood walks with what I call our "Babyburban." Since I only have 30 minutes to get them loaded, go on the walk and unloaded, I have to plan way ahead or else I would only have enough time to go to our sidewalk and back. I have to strategize by preparing the next feedings' bottles early, starting feeds slightly early, pumping while feeding Hayden and, finally, praying there are no delays such as overly fussy babies waiting for their turn to eat, unburpable babies, dirty diapers that won't stop (parents, you know what I'm talking about) and the like. If all goes well, we can have a 45 minute stroll.Despite this crazy schedule I really do love having them home. When I take them out to visit the pediatrician, etc. I get all these comments like, "Triplets? God bless you" or "Wow, you've got your hands full" and "Good luck with that!" I always respond with a smile and say, "Thanks, we truly are blessed."

5 comments:
Praise be to God that they are all home, healthy and you are somewhat sane (the somewhat part will not go away!).
I have two kiddos and I'm super amazed at what you accomplish in a day...God obviously trusts you a LOT.
Congratulations. I am so glad everyone is home. You are doing such a great job bringing those babies up in a Christian home. Keep it up. Get my number from Chelsey. I want to come over and help. How is your friend from the hospital?
Talk soon, Michelle
jessica! hello! i havent seen you in years, probably since you were a senior at heights, but i found your blog through a few others and wanted to say hi! and WOW!
what a special time for you. and what precious babies.
congratulations.
~katy (hennighausen) rose
You and the babies look great Jessica! We're so happy for you guys that the babies are home and all is well. You are truly blessed -- what a great response to people's comments! Good thing God gave you the gifts of discipline and organization -- perfect for the mother of triplets! God bless, Brian, Lori, Taylor and Kylie :)
Hello Melker's! All 5 of you. We are so glad to see that you are all home and together again as a family.
I know the next few months will be hard, but it will get easier in no time at all. We are having so much fun now!
We also have big news. I received a promotion at work and we are moving to Alabama. God has blessed us so richly and now He is giving us an opportunity to move closer to family.
Hopefully we can get over to meet your kiddos before we leave. We will be around thru mid-April.
Talk soon and call us if we can help.
Post a Comment