Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Will It Ever End?

Grandma visited today and got to hold Madison for the first time. She settled in nicely in Grandma's lap and drifted off into Never Neverland.

Payson was moved into an open crib yesterday and was dressed and swaddled after a week of chillin' in his diaper. Here you see his IV in his head. It looks terrible but it is the best place for an IV because he always pulls the IVs out when they are in his hand or foot. You can see in this same picture that he pulled out his gavage tube. He's letting us know that he's ready to work for food by taking it through bottles. As soon as he gets his IV out in the next day or two he will rejoin his sisters in the big cage, I mean crib.

As for me, I have had a rough few days up at NICU. After 4 weeks of visiting the NICU and 12 total weeks of being in the hospital I am more than ready to take our babies home. I am ready to put the stress of NICU behind me, ready for privacy, ready to get away from all of the NICU rules and beeping alarms and ready to be totally and completely overwhelmed at home caring for our three tiny babies. As difficult as it is, I am going to spend most of tomorrow at home resting and taking care of myself so I can be re-energized for what I hope will be our last few weeks in NICU. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but many days it still seems dim. It is so hard to be away from the babies when I just want to change every diaper and give them every bottle and every bath. Still I know that one day there will be a time when I feel like I am going to scream if I have to change one more diaper, pump milk one more time, fix one more bottle and give one more bath. But for now, that truly sounds like heaven...well, all except for the part about pumping!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am praying for you and Keith as you deal with the stress of NICU and not being able to take them home yet. Also, praying for those three precious babies of yours to get stronger and stronger so they can come home soon. I haven't experienced NICU yet, but I know how hard the hospital-living is. You are doing great and you are such a great mom. Hang in there. It won't be too much longer and the Melker Trio will be home.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Jess ... you really are super mom and I'm so proud of you!!!! You have been so good at taking it one day at a time before you know it those little ones will be at home! I will try to call you on my way home if it's not too late.

Miss you!

The Texas Trio said...

Hey Guys! We are so glad to see that everything is going so well for the 5 of you!

Jessica, I think that it is awesome that you are pumping. I know it isn't easy. I remember when it was my turn to sleep and I still had to set my alarm for every 3 hours to get up and pump. Believe it or not, it does get a little easier! But what you are doing for your children is so worth it!

I also love the blog. When the kiddos come home, it will be harder to keep up with, but it is an awesome way to keep friends and family updated with pictures and video!

We hope to touch base with you guys soon, but we realize how crazy your life is right now. Just know that we are here thinking about all of you and praying for you on a daily basis.

The Pollards

The Mitchells said...

It will end, I promise. What's amazing is the first few days home you will give ANYTHING to have somone help or to have the comfort of the monitors back. I understand not wanting to pump...after 3 straight months it was either the pump or my sanity. I honestly wondered if I could, accidentally, roll over the pump with my car.