Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Monday, January 7, 2008

Payson's Newest Diagnosis

At my 1 a.m. pumping I called NICU to check in on Payson. His most recent blood work and x-rays showed that he most likely has the worse of the possible issues we were told about called NEC (Necrotizing Enterocolitis) which is an inflammation of the bowels which stops the digestion of food. Premature infants are at high risk for this disease which usually appears in the first few weeks (the babies are 2.5 weeks old). It is a very serious disease and can be fatal so we are very much relying on God at this time. The nurse said it was caught early and that Payson is responding favorably to treatment but it is still too early to tell. Although originally they didn't believe the issue to be NEC, thankfully they treated him like he could have it and already started him on antibiotics and other treatments to help lessen the effects if the infection.

Then at 7 a.m. Keith went to the hospital while I tried to get some more sleep, something that was difficult to get last night with waking up to pump every 3 hours and then having to go back to sleep while thinking about Payson. The nurses confirmed that he does indeed have NEC. He is definitely very sick and won't be getting fed milk for possibly up to 10-14 days. And we also can't hold him for a while or spend much time touching or talking to him. Break a mother's heart! He needs to use all of his energy to fight his infection.

We are praying that his little body will be healed and that he will not require surgical repair which is a real possibility though not at this time and not unless his intestine ruptures. Also, it is not known whether NEC can be passed from one baby to the next so everyone is being really careful about hand washing and keeping everything separate between the girls. This is a real bump in the road for Payson and will likely set him back a few weeks for when he can come home. But honestly, that is not my concern right now, I just want my little boy to fight this and get better.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll keep Payson in my prayers and I'll say a few for you and your hubby. I know how stressful this is.
Take care and let me know if you need anything.

Misty

Amy said...

Hey guys, we will be praying for you and Payson and Madison and Hayden as well. If you need to talk, just stop by anytime.

Gram said...

prayers indeed. jan

The Texas Trio said...

We are so sad to hear that Payson is sick. We said a special prayer for him tonight and I have been thinking about him all day.

I imagine that this must be a very difficult time for Mommy and Daddy but try to remember that God is watching over your babies.

Please call us if we can do anything to help or if I can bring you lunch at the hospital one day!

The Pollards

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

We will be praying for your little boy and for your rest and strength in caring for your 3 little miracles!

AMH said...

Hey guys ... wow, we didn't know you had this site going until someone @ Second shared it with us! We will keep you 2 and Payson in our prayers for sure!

Love,
Anthony & Annie

Anonymous said...

1-9-08 So Happy to hear that Payson is improving. Today was my first day in several to check your blog. I was sorry to hear that you all have been going through so much. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
Virginia g.