While Hayden has already been in a sling for a minor arm injury and visited the ER to get 3 staples in her head, last week was the first time for her, or any of our kids, to get a broken bone. She fell backwards of a stepstool and caught herself with her hands. Unfortunately four of her left-hand fingers went one way and her pinky went the other.
It happened at 6:00 pm and thankfully Nunie was on hand to take her to the ER. It had been a rough day already. And to think that I thought things were going poorly when Madison cut off some of her hair! She was so excited that she came running over to show me what she had done. Once I showed my displeasure she realized that it wasn't a good thing. Then she refused to throw her hair clippings in the trash because she didn't want to part with them and even kissed them before she finally let them go.
Hayden cried when she broke her finger but I've definitely heard her scream and wail much louder and harder than that. But the moment I saw her finger I knew it was broken. No. Doubt. I gasped when I first saw it sticking out to the side which scared her for a moment and made her cry a little harder. But I remained supermom calm which helped her to settle down rather quickly as well.
I quickly loaded the carseat in Nunie's car and sent her on her way with a lovey, a snack and a sucker. The X-ray confirmed the damage: a growth plate fracture.

After a few hours in the ER, Hayden and Nunie stopped to get Hayden's prescription filled and to get a late dinner at McDonald's. I have a feeling that a lot of injured children have finished their day's journey at McDonald's!
Hayden had received a couple of numbing shots before they realigned her finger so she was quite bubbly when she got home. But she did feel the pain as soon as it wore off. She was just happy to have an excuse to take medicine, I think!
Almost 3 1/2 hours later, Nunie was headed home. Hayden was in bed just after 10:00 pm. Thank you, Jacque, for all of your love and help!
Hayden had been asking about Payson and Madison while she was in the ER just as they were asking about her. They didn't want to go to sleep until she got home but I was somehow able to convince them to. The next day they had a lot of catching up to do!
We're scheduled to see an orthopedic hand specialist later this week. There is a chance she'll need surgery but I am hopeful that a cast will be enough. It's been a tough few days but she is handling it surprisingly well. Miss Independent is still even able to dress herself (some of the time), go potty, put on her shoes, and do a myriad of other things ON HER OWN, just like she likes it!
No comments:
Post a Comment