Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Monday, May 4, 2009

Swine Flu?

Not exactly. Although we did not have the Swine Flu, we did get miserably ill with a bacterial infection that you get from chickens. 99.9999999% of our lives we have no contact with chickens but apparently, after our recent visit with petting zoo animals, we left with more than just memories. Hayden was sick first, then Payson and then me. Madison had mild symptoms and Keith, once again, didn't get sick. We had fevers, chills, muscle aches, headaches and abdominal cramping like you have never felt before. After 10 days of misery we finally got a diagnosis and antibiotics to speed up the recovery but it was a little too late. Still, we are glad to rid our systems of any remaining nasty bacteria floating around our bodies. Poor little babies. Poor me.

The babies, or toddlers really, are in such a sweet stage. Not only are they giving each other kisses, both voluntarily and on-demand, but they very clearly know each other's names. When we ask Madison to point to Payson, for example, she does. They can all do it and it is adorable. They are also playing together, sharing and giving toys to each other when asked... and doing so without protest. Very sweet.

Payson got a Hot Wheel for Easter and it quickly became apparent that one small toy car was not going to be enough to please him and his toy-stealing sisters. So I bought them a 10-pack of cars and they have been a big hit. Payson is most happy when holding a Hot Wheel in one hand and a small stuffed ball (either football, baseball or basketball) in the other. His word of the week has been "basketball" which he says constantly, though second, of course, to "Daddy."

Speaking of "Daddy," I hear his name way more than my own - which is totally fine. I have recently joined a group stroller work-out class and while jogging around the mall the other day, Hayden was singing "Daaaaa-dee....Daaaaa-dee" over and over. She sings his name often and it is so cute. Payon says "Da-da!" loudly and emphatically over and over while Madison squeals "Da-da" in a high tone. During the day around the house, every time the door creaks or the phone rings the babies start saying his name and looking around for him. They all adore their daddy so much.

The babies were recently re-evaluated by Early Childhood Intervention, which assists children with delays, and we were thrilled that we didn't qualify for their services once again. But we do participate in their "Follow-Along" program where we fill out questionnaires about the babies' development every few months so they can track their progress and make sure they don't fall behind. One question asked, "Can your child put a Cheerio in a clear plastic bottle?" For both the girls, the answer was "no" simply because they kept eating the Cheerio! (Payson could do it because it's part of his grouping/sorting obsession which trumps the desire to eat a Cheerio.) So it dawned on me one day after the babies didn't eat their green beans for lunch to let them try to drop a green bean in a bottle. Sure enough, the girls did it right away with no hesitation and Madison continued to play with the bottle and green beans for a good half hour. Now there's cheap entertainment!

Recently we took the babies swimming at an indoor pool. I was concerned that they wouldn't like the water but they loved it! We look forward to taking them swimming lots this summer at our neighborhood pool although we aren't sure quite yet just how we are going to handle three toddlers at the pool with just two adults.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

"Better you than me!"

What does this mean ? Does this mean that she wouldn't want triplets (and in essence dissing me for having to deal with triplets) or that she wouldn't be able to handle triplets (and in essence complimenting me that I can)? I never know how to respond. What do you think?

5 comments:

The Mitchells said...

You are so blessed to have the three amazing children you have...and WHAT an amazing blessing from God that there are no delays...I'm sure you don't see that too often in multiples. When people are shocked that you can or just that you actually do it, just know that God gave you a gift and a heart that He didn't give them. You can handle something that most people wouldn't think that they would ever be able to do...and remain sane.

Amy said...

I think it's probably a little of both, although I wouldn't take that first part to be a diss on you - just a "to each his own" comment.

Towne said...

What??? The chicken flu? That sounds absolutely awful...10 days of misery! What's worse, you survived lock down and were then faced with another onslaught of illness! So glad you've all recovered now.

Amy said...

I have gotten this comment many times. I think it is probably a little of both. I usually just say nothing in response to comments like that, although sometimes I want to say "that is why God gave me triplets and not you."

Jordan said...

I hope y'all are all feeling better and have gotten over that yucky "chicken flu"! That's great that the kiddos don't qualify for ECI. I just picked up a set of 2 1/2 year old triplet girls to treat for occupational therapy. Although, they are not that delayed developmentally, their mom has had NO control/scheduling/discipline and/or rules thus far so the girls are just CRAZY!!! Mainly I'm working on attention span and handling situations where patience is required (even for just a few seconds) and behavior issues. Take care and I'd take the woman's comment as a compliment that you are holding it together and raising healthy and happy kids!