Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Sunday, May 24, 2009

First Family Vacation - PART 1

Keith and I decided it was time to put our parenting skills and patience to the test and take the babies on their first flight, all three of them and just two of us. I used to pack for trips way in advance. When I was little I would start packing for camp 2-3 weeks early. However, with three toddlers, it was just easier for me to pack the day before, plus they use and wear many of the items until the last day, or hour, anyway so it made more sense. Though, don't be mistaken, our trip took a lot of advance planning.

Our first stop was Denver (yes, we flew to TWO destinations!) to visit Keith's paternal grandparents, Granny and Papa. At first it looked like we were going to have to take three Pack 'n Plays along with our luggage and three huge car seats but Granny and Papa came to the rescue. They were able to get together several vintage high chairs and portable cribs for the babies. While I can say that these baby items have come a long way over the last half-century, they worked just great, and the babies were well-rested and well-fed with no problems. Thanks Granny and Papa!

Hayden's first flight! (Madison went to Boston with me last year so she's a pro.) Despite the many obstacles parents have to leap through to fly (luggage restrictions, no pre-boarding, only one lap baby on each row, etc.) the flight went relatively well. I'll spare you the details of our five flights (two layovers with no plane change), but I will say that flying with two toddlers as lap babies is not the way to go. Two of the flights had open seats so we were able to bring on all three car seats which worked much better for us and was the only way the babies would nap - and be still! No more napping in our laps - that stage is way gone.

Payson's first flight! We attempted to keep babies entertained with snacks, new toys, snacks and more snacks.

Madison catching up on lost sleep during baggage claim.

Hayden watched her Grammy water the flowers and picked up the new skill immediately. A girl with a green thumb?

Eating birthday cake. We didn't get to celebrate my birthday (or Mother's Day for that matter) a few weeks ago because we were all so sick from those dang chickens from the petting zoo. Check out the vintage metal high chair on the left and the "Baby Butler", circa 1950's, in the middle with Payson. It was Keith's dad's high chair when he was a baby and we now have pictures with all three Melker's eating in it

Payson climb out of the Baby Butler all too easily so Keith rigged up a restraint for him - using his own belt!

The first morning we woke up to the sound of a party in the babies room. What was so much fun? Well, Payson was in Madison's crib! Keith thinks he climbed in at the beginning of the night and they slept in the same crib, but I think he joined her in the morning. We'll never know!

Have you ever seen 4 sets of triplets in one [Play] Place? Well, while in Denver we had the great opportunity to meet up with three other triplet families that I know through an online high-order multiples group. We decided that McDonald's would be a good meeting point but it was the first time for any of us to take our babies there, so we all had to force ourselves to put all of the germs out of our minds. The babies had a blast playing and eating while we socialized and chased run-away toddlers during conversation.

Four triplet mommas - Suzi, Julie, Julie and me. We all have triplets between the ages of 16-20 months old.

Hayden playing hard in the McDonald's Play Place.

Keith and Madison chillin'. Madison loves her Snack Trap so much that she keeps her fist in it the whole time and barely even takes a bite of snack. Don't you dare try to take it away from her though until she's ready - that sweet face is replaced with a very mad one in less than a second.

Madison, Payson and Hayden with their beloved Grammy, GP, Granny and Papa. It was beautiful in Denver so we spent a lot of time playing outside.

Keith with the babies at the airport ready for our second leg of the trip - off to Phoenix we go!

Once in the car in Phoenix it was over an hour past the babies' bedtime so they crashed hard in the car.





Thanks Granny and Papa for hosting ALL of us and for all of the baby gear! We miss you already.

4 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

Jessica - I'm so jealous that I didn't get to do the playdate! Is NJ really that bad that no one wants to visit? =)

Congrats on a successful vacation. Looks & sounds like a lot of fun. (Even with the annoying flying.)

mpannek said...

Yea! It looks like you had a great trip. If you ever end up in Vegas.... let me know!!!

Daysha said...

Hi Jessica, I'm not sure if you would remember me from OU. The person you'd maybe have any idea is that I was friends with KC Maddox. Anywho, this is going to sound weird but I don't even remember now the path I took through different blogs that lead me to yours. But I wanted to say hello and tell you that you are doing an amazing job as the mother to your 3 precious kiddos. We have a little in common even away from OU, my little guy (who just turned 1, YEA) at 33 weeks. I'm not comparing situations one bit, I've learned that through life. but there is a connection. So hello!! and great job on your big vacation.

Daysha

Anna said...

wow! i am so proud of you guys! you and keith should get a medal : ) we just flew for our first time as a family with lil reese this past weekend, too. it is a feat! can't wait to swap stories! looks like you guys had a wonderful time. hayden, madison and payson are as adorable as ever!