Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Growing and Shrinking

Tuesday's appointment showed healthy growing babies. Unfortunately it also showed a shrinking cervical length. Up to this point I was trying to spare you from too much detail but it is difficult to explain the situation without going more in depth.

With a cervix measuring 1.8 cm in length, we are somewhat concerned that things are progressing more quickly than we'd like. However, a month ago it measured around 2.2-2.5 and managed to increase back up to 3.5 cm so it is hard to tell what is really happening as the cervix is dynamic. I am praying to make it to 30 weeks which is this Sunday and will be anxious for next Tuesday's appointment to see if it was just the timing of the measurement or if things are progressing.

My doctor says that cervix alone is not telling enough to know when these babies will arrive and he wouldn't be surprised if I did make it another 4, 5 or 6 weeks. I was not too surprised to see the change as I am certainly feeling the weight and the pressure, however, it was kind of surprising since my contractions haven't increased in number and we thought that it was going to be the contractions that caused us the most trouble. That being said, I do have 2-8 contractions an hour every day and that could certainly be affecting things. At this point I am doing all I can do to keep these babies in so we just have to wait and see what happens. In regards to my many discomforts, it seems like almost every night I say to Keith, "I just don't know" and he always understands what I mean and replies, "You can do it."

On a lighter note, Keith's sister and her family moved back to Oklahoma after 3 years in Thailand. We are thrilled to have them back. Though it was getting late we decided we need to snap a picture for the blog. You can see from our sleeping nieces in the picture on the left that the jet lag has not yet worn off.

The babies have discovered my ribs and seem to have no problem fighting against them for more room. Our little Baby Boy "B" now has his head next to Baby Girl "A"s head after spending a few weeks snuggling with his other sister. He has relocated to the very surface of my stomach allowing me to feel his every move (previously I felt him the least). I spend a lot of time on my left side as I should mostly because of the location of the TV and to use my right hand for writing, typing, etc. And because of this I often rest my right arm against my stomach and Baby Boy "B" is sure to kick or bump me to let me know that he wants his space too. This week he gave us a good view of his face as did his sister, Baby Girl "C", who has her hand near her cheek in the top left corner of the second picture.

4 comments:

The Mitchells said...

Prayers for the cervix!!

Amanda said...

Hooray hooray! You're almost there! One more day until week 30. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

It's officially Week 31. And I was reading up on the cerix, and it sounds like you need not worry too much. Don't you appreciate my very professional medical opinion??? Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

coop
Trish dean sent me your blog address!! what a joy to see you and that sweet "bump". You are beautiful! I am thrilled to watch you walk through this with such a precious spirit. Those babies are blessed to have you and Keith. I will be praying for you and checking often from Oklahoma! Give Keith a high five for me...assuming that won't take too much out of ya-you can use that trapeze for leverage. :)
I just can't help but smile thinking about your expanding family. GOD is good!
love you
Diane Nutt (Stowe)