Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Warriorlicious

Last weekend Keith and I participated in the highly anticipated Warrior Dash along with 17,998 other modern Warriors. Keith's sister, Chelsey, and our brother-in-law, Barry, joined us in the fun. Here we are clean, fierce and ready to go at 7:30 in the morning.

Soon after checking in we ran into an Avatar. The Warrior Dash encourages participants to dress up and this girl definitely did! We later found out that she won the costume contest, and rightfully so! We went as "Team Warmonger" to show our steep competition that we were ready for war. The girls wanted to go as Team "Warriorlicious," but the men, of course, didn't want anything to do with that.

My brother, Grant, got the craze going in our family and encouraged us all to sign up. Always the older brother, he gave me a good ole' fashioned knuckle sandwich before game time. Check out his mohawk!

Negeen and I geared up for the race with our Warrior helmets.









And we're off! To get an idea of how truly awesome the race was, check out this video. We scaled hay bales, crawled through mud and under barbed wire, jumped over fire, ran through a muddy creek, climbed up a muddy slope... are you seeing the theme here? MUD, MUD and more MUD! It was so hard to run in mud and people were slipping and falling everywhere. It was so much fun!

After the race we were a proud muddy mess!

Tough girls! Me with my favorite sisters-in-law, Chelsey and Negeen.

Chelsey and Keith after they had been hosed off.

Negeen and Grant were also caked in mud from head to toe.

Although our shoes were covered in mud, the attached time chips still worked great. Although it's more for fun than competition, it was fun to see our results and how we compared to average. I was so surprised (and admittedly excited) that I came in 18th place out of nearly 600 girls in my age bracket.

There was no where to change clothes besides a porta-potty, so I climbed inside the stack of large tires...

... and miraculously came out in clean clothes. I guess this is the closest I will ever get to popping out of a giant cake!

I, along with thousands of others, donated my old muddy shoes to charity. This was just one of the many growing shoe piles.

Once we were somewhat clean, it was party time! We munched on turkey legs and barbecue sandwiches while mingling with fellow runners for a few hours. It was good ole' fashioned fun!

I wrote about my Warrior Dash experience on the Dallas Morning News Moms Blog. Check it out below with my other recent entries:




2 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

Jess-so cool! Messy, yes. But so fun! I'm jealous. All I did was run on a street. Boooooring! Way to do us triplet moms proud!

Kina said...

I watched the Warrior Dash video -- that was a CRAZY race! While viewing the video, I was trying to determine whether the race is something I would do if it came to the DC area. I was cautiously optimistic until I saw the mud slide and even worse the swimming in the muddy water! I think that would have freaked me out! And there was lots of fire! I thought you just jumped over a little bucket of fire or something! Hah! It actually looked like a lot of fun! You all were brave for taking part. Good for you! But, mud and I just aren't friends...