Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New Tents!

And, no, I'm not talking about camping tents but crib tents! A lot of my friends don't know what they are, but my mom-of-multiples homegirls sure do! The topic of crib tents has come up many times over the last six months. While we have had some issues with Madison climbing out of her crib, it was only an occasional issue and we had a few tricks to discourage it. Now, when Hayden decided that she wanted to start climbing out of her pack 'n play, it threatened Mommy's sanity. I recall one afternoon when I had to put her back in 20+ times. I was so irritated and eventually fell asleep on the floor outside of her room.

Once she started climbing out at bedtime, Madison joined in the fun. After several tough evenings, Keith was home alone with the kids and decided to let them play in their room or do whatever freely so they could feel the pain of being tired the next morning. He said they played, giggled and had a blast (all while Payson slept amongst 15 books they had thrown into his crib during their party). By 9:15 pm they were whining for Daddy to come put them to bed. Guess who had to deal with two grumpy and irrational girls the following day? Me!

So, that day, out of desperation, I loaded up the kids, and we went to the store to buy three crib tents. I installed them immediately. I was a little worried that they'd be scared to be zipped in, but they actually liked it!

Payson has been a good boy and although he climbs out occasionally, he stays in when I tell him to. So he doesn't have his crib tent yet which works out well because when he is in his sisters' cribs he has been terrified to have it zipped up.

In other April news, we had our final music class of the semester and the kids ended on a high note with the parachute. Kids love that thing!

The other day I was carrying my bag when Payson ran towards me and said, "I get it." What a little gentleman! (Even if it was simply because he wanted to look through it!)

I love pictures showing contrast like this one with Madison wearing her butterfly wings and playing with a dump truck.

The kids are starting to smile for the camera and here Madison flashes a big one with Daddy.

My friend Amanda encouraged me to teach the kids to use a knife. I had been hesitant for obvious reasons but thought her advice to let them cut their bananas with a butter knife was a great idea. The kids love it and it is that much less prep work for me!

With friends moving we decided to have a HBS/BCG barbecue. It's always so fun getting everyone together to catch up!

April brings such delightful weather around here, and we were able to take advantage of it one Saturday with a trip to the zoo. Here are the kids observing the ostriches and kangaroos.

We got lucky with an up close look of a tiger chewing on a bone just inside the viewing window.















This little video catches Hayden trying to keep up with the big lizard as he walks along the inside of the glass.

3 comments:

Kim Malone said...

Jessica~

I have a quick question for you. I read your blog about the crib tents and was curious to what brand you purchased. I have cribs that have a high back, sloped sides, and a lower front and I have been reading that crib tents are made for cribs that have all 4 sides the same height. Obviously, based on your pictures, that isn't the case!!

Thanks!

Kim
PAMOM

Keith and Jessica said...

Kim, I have the Cozy Crib Tent II b/c that's all that Buy Buy Baby had in stock (it has the full net around the sides). While it doesn't fit perfectly, I didn't have to do anything to "rig it" up like others have said, it just dips down a little in one corner. At first I thought the kids would be harder on it but they really don't mess with it much besides the zipper and flap opening. I highly recommend it!

Kim said...

Awesome!! Thanks for the info. We're not there yet, but I always like to get the research done before we need the items. :)