In Boston, you have to valet because there is no available parking and your car is being parked 4+ blocks away down some mystery ramp that may or may not lead to a dungeon. You give your ticket to the sweaty valet guy (despite it being 30 degrees!) and watch him run as fast as he can to fetch your car from some unfathomable distance.
In L.A., you are forced to valet even though you see 30 open spots within 20 feet of where you give up your car. Later, you give your ticket to the extremely bored valet guy and watch him take his time to find your keys and meander over to your car, taking five times as long as it would have taken you to have walked to your car yourself. I understand valets for crowded (or even upscale) businesses, but beyond that I am stumped.
Keith was staffed in Los Angeles the week after our attempted vacation weekend at the St. Regis, but not before a Monday afternoon meeting in New York. Sunday night Keith left Dana Point for a red-eye flight to NYC and returned 24 hours later to meet up with me in L.A. During that time the babies and I slept, checked out of the St. Regis, drove to L.A., checked into our new hotel (eventually having to change rooms after being partially unpacked), met up with friends, got the babysitter situated so I could go out to dinner with some friends (thanks Maggie and Amelia!), then dinner, and off to bed again. Keith snuck back in while I was sleeping. It was a crazy day for all of us, but we survived. I did feel like a little bit of a super-mom this particular day after having to do all of this solo (with a double and a single stroller no less; I sure miss my triplet strollers when we travel!).
By Wednesday morning, the babies and I were in survival mode (as seemed to happen quite often on this trip). I had heard that there was a My Gym in the Beverly Hills area, so I did some research and was thrilled to see that there was a class starting half an hour later. I called the hotel valet (of course), loaded the kids in the car and off we went. It was only a few miles away, but it took over 20 minutes to get there. Twenty red lights later, we had made it and the kids were running around and jumping gleefully.
That afternoon, we checked out of our Beverly Hills hotel and drove to a hotel by the airport (yes, this was our FOURTH hotel of the trip!), so we could use the airport shuttle rather than returning our rented minivan. We set our schedule up perfectly to allow the kids to get a late morning nap before our lunchtime flights. The night before we left, we had dinner with our good friends Carrie and Clint in Manhattan Beach (with a sitter back at the hotel, of course) and flew out the next day. This was about two months worth of sitters for us, but we couldn't have done it without them!
Keith flew home solo with Payson and Madison, while I flew with Hayden to Minnesota. Originally, I thought I got the better deal, but Hayden decided to test my patience like never before. And the travel challenges continued...
3 comments:
I love this post...makes me smile.
a cliffhanger!!! i'm very much in awe of your superstar mom attitude and skillz, jess.
Awww...of course neither Heath NOR Lane told me you all got to visit with each other...and the triplets! It looks like you all had soooo much fun! Wish I could have been there to meet your angels!
Post a Comment