Let us not become weary doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galations 6:9

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Triplet Insurrection

Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain, The Babies speech 1879

Quick English lesson:
Insurrection- an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government
***
Of course I always post the fun and cute stuff but we do have hard minutes, hard hours and hard days. We don't usually have many of the hard weeks or months like we had early on but I know there will be more to come.
This week we did have a really hard week, the first in a long time. All five of us are sick with colds, the babies dropped their third nap and are now only taking two naps a day, we've had a total of four new teeth in just six days with a few more set to break through at any moment and, lastly, Keith was out of town.

Dinner is impossible this week because it is exactly at the same time they used to take their third nap. We dropped the nap because Payson and Madison were not really taking it anymore - at least not without lots of protesting - but they can't yet handle being up that long in the late afternoon/early evening. Madison's new thing is to throw little "fits" that consist of turning in circles over and over while crying. She goes from her hands and knees to a seated position and back to her hands and knees - over and over and over making little circles. So funny. Payson crawls around, except for when he's crying so hard that he is frozen in time, and stops and puts his head face down into the ground while tears stream down his face.

You may wonder why babies that are so upset aren't being held. Here are just a few of the things Keith and I do to prepare the babies for bed: make two trips to carry three babies upstairs, prepare bath, undress, bathe squirmy babies, brush teeth, prepare and warm bottles downstairs, carry boppies upstairs, dry, lotion, diaper, and dress babies, comb hair, carry bottles upstairs, turn on music and fan, turn off lights, lay babies down on boppies and, finally, slip bottles into babies' mouths. Then comes prayers, burping and night-night kisses. Now try all of that alone while mommy or daddy is out for the evening. Feel worn out just reading it? Exactly!

Hayden was the only one still happily taking the third nap and she is, surprisingly, doing the best with the schedule change. Well, except for at dinner time when she bats at and refuses to eat baby food, insists on pulling off her bib, screams for more finger food when she stuffs the last bite into her mouth and cries hysterically when you wipe her face. Ever heard triplet chaos? Be sure to turn down your volume first.
(L-R: Madison, Payson, Hayden)

Today the babies are 11-months-old. Just one month away from the big 1st!

14 comments:

Kina said...

Is it just me or are the babies still absolutely adorable even as they throw fits? Though seeing the babies so upset melts my heart, the exhausting bed time schedule you describe redirects my empathy toward you and Keith! The photos and video you captured in this latest blog entry are sure to guarantee you and Keith many spectacular Mother's and Father's Days to come! Hang in there!

-Kina

Unknown said...

Oh oh oh! Good to see that on tape, if only to people praying for you!!! But even on the worst day, we know you would not trade them for anything in the whole wide world. I love it in the video where it looks like Hayden was just making noise to chime in with Madison and Payson. Praying for you all. Can't wait to see you and your family for Thanksgiving week. Love, Grammy Roxanne

Misty said...

WOW 11months! I wish I could say the days get easier at 2, but it seems they just now have words and more intentional grunts! I'm so jealous, mine were only taking one nap at that time & still only take one nap. Mine never took more than 2 (and the one was only about 20min!!)
The kiddos look so good! They are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

i think i've told you this before, but here it is again... YOU ARE A SUPERSTAR!!! and your babies are adorable, even when they're insurrecting.

Kris said...

I totally understand - we are having a rough day here! 7 pm can't come fast enough! :)

Amy said...

That is so funny... Insurrection!

You know...after talking to you more about Madison and her feeding issues and from listening to her scream, she sounds a lot like Hannah. Hannah really is by far my most laid back baby but when she is mad, she verbalizes it just like Madison! And getting her to eat is almost always such a battle.

And I have two fit-throwers (see my blog if you haven't already). I just did a post about how Whitney and Tyler throw temper tantrums. Tyler is the worst!

Hope y'all feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Your babies are still the best behaved babies i have ever seen. And until that video, i didnt believe they even cried.
I know the days are long and hard and that sometimes you just want to put your head down into the carpet and cry with them... but soon the schedule will be down and they will be the happy babies they normally are.
And as always, you have so much strength that i admire and you are a WONDERFUL mother. Your night routine is way harder than mine and even mine exhausts me.
YOUR ROCK, LOVE YOU WOMAN!
PS One month away, can you believe they are a year. I cry just working on their party. Its such a big day fro them but truly, its a huge day for us as parents too... we made it through this incredible YET very hard year.. and with grace!

Allison said...

Baby Einstein! That saves us around 5-6 when they really start melting down! That and lots of snacks! Cheerios, sippys with juice in it, mandarin oranges. Those are what get us through! It is starting to get easier with only 2 naps so hang in there! EJ is cutting his 1st molar...oh what fun! :)

Leslie & Alex said...

Happy 11 month bday to the babies! Jessica & Keith, I don't know how you do it. You're amazing!!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a bedtime routine! You need an elevator :)

Steph said...

This is my favorite post yet! Good to keep a sense of humor. You are a rock star Jess for keeping it all together. I don't know how you do it. You have captured fabulous moments though.

Sharon said...

I feel so less alone! Loved your site. Can I add you to my blogspot?
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! Wow, your story and they way you told it was hilarious! I know it's easy to laugh at after, not during, but it looks like you and Keith continue to do an AMAZING job at raising those three little cuties, so keep up the good work! I can't believe they are almost a year old! I'm sure it's bittersweet. They are adorable, even when they cry---hope we can see you guys soon! Love ya! Jaime

KellyO said...

Too, too funny. And I guess I can say that because my (single) bun still has 5 months in the oven.